Friday, December 2, 2011

A letter to my doubters...

  It's no surprise to me that a lot of people didn't believe I was actually going to take this trip.  Hell, I was one of them. What surprised me were the supporters who seemed to think it was a great idea. What surprised me even more was that most of those "supporters" were full of Oscar Mayer B-O-L-O-G-N-A!   As soon as I bought the backpack, everything became real, because as one of the bouncers at work said, "Sandi may not always do what she says she's going to do or finish what she's started, but if there's one thing Sandi doesn't do, it's waste money." The trip is on, and now that everyone else is realizing it, their fears are starting to surface. Great timing, folks.
  Look, I love everyone who loves me enough to be concerned, but it's too late to be concerned now.  The best thing for you all to do is think of it like I do--pretend you're a crazy hippie if only for this next thought:
  Everything in my life is pointing me in this direction. I have NEVER felt so sure that I was doing the right thing at the right time as I do at this very moment. So if this is the case, then whatever happens bad or good is what was meant to happen.
  It's this thought that gets me through my terrible fear of flying, and I am hoping it will give you all a little bit of comfort as well. If you need some reassurance that's a little less...well...hokey, than here's all that I have:
1.People have been doing this for years. Women have been doing this for years. In fact, most of where I am going is along what is known as the "hippie trail." It's been called this since the actual hippies of the 60's began traveling these routes, these SAME routes, that people, women, hippies have been traveling for years...Did I mention I'm not the first one to do this?
2.I am not an idiot. Yes, I have my stoner moments, occasionally misplacing things or losing track of time, but I have been living alone for years now in less than the best neighborhoods, and I'm still standing.  Common sense goes a long way and I was raised with plenty of it. I promise to not go walking down dark alleys, not go out late at night alone, not get too drunk to know what I'm doing when there's no one looking out for me...In other words, I promise to continue to use the exact same common sense thinking that's kept me safe from harm all these years in America.
3.I will be reachable, and so will you.  Gone are the days when you would have had to spend your time waiting on a month old postcard to see that I am safe. Internet cafes are EVERYWHERE. I have this blog, my email, and facebook. I also have an ipod touch, and oddly, wifi is apparently much more available in 3rd world countries than first world. I can video chat, and also I will have a phone number on it to send and receive text messages.   A lot of travelers stay too connected to technology and never really get to experience the now unless they are reporting on it so with the exception of this blog, I am hoping not to spend too much time contacting you all, no offense, but at least we all know that the option is there.
  I hope, I have put a few worries to rest. There are plenty more arguements I could go into--the abundance of crime and danger in America, the welcoming people of Thailand, even my hair-brained arguement that everyone you hear of that gets kidnapped was traveling with a group so see, I am actually safer traveling alone--but like I said, it all boils down to common sense. I am a smart girl, I'll be fine.

No comments: